Thursday, August 5, 2010

Lamu



Top 10 reasons to move to Lamu:

1. Swahili culture. Lamu is Kenya’s oldest town and is the perfect example of Swahili (or coastal) culture. It is dominated by Islamic tradition as a result of over 300 years of Omani rule. In this sense, it was very similar to Zanzibar, though I would say that Lamu seemed a little more authentic to me. In Zanzibar I felt like I was in a resort town that was Swahili themed. Lamu felt like a true Swahili experience. Maybe that is why it is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. I enjoyed everything about the culture except the 5AM prayer call from the mosque loudspeaker right next to my window.




2. Shela. The perfect expat haven. There are long stretches of beaches and private homes built so that the warm ocean breeze blows through every inch of them.



3. Mnarani House. Our home for the weekend. Five bedrooms/four bathrooms, plenty of cozy nooks for reading, and an open-air rooftop lounge where we spent the nights listening to music and relaxing.



4. Rooftop massages. I got an hour long massage on the rooftop of our house for KSh 2,000 (~$25 USD). It was the perfect way to end our vacation of pure hedonism.


5. No cars. Lamu is the Venice of East Africa. There are no cars—only sail boats (called dhows) and donkeys. Donkeys are so important here that there is even a sanctuary for sick donkeys so that they can be nursed back to health. It was such a relief to not have to constantly fear getting run over by a speeding matatu or citybus like I do in Nairobi.



6. Sunset dhow rides. The best $6 I have ever spent.



7. Rastafari. The beachboys and dhow sailors are all ganja-smoking rastafari with an incredible outlook on life. One of the rastafari we met took us on his dhow, Hippo, from Lamu Town back to Shela. When we asked him how he was doing, he replied with “This is the best day of my life, mon.” I’m pretty sure he says that every day. He also sang Bob Marley the whole way to Shela.


8. Fresh seafood. Our private chef, Lucas, prepared elaborate meals for us every day. We had lobster, calamari, white snapper, oysters, pilau, chapatti, and all the fresh fruits and fruit juices you could ever ask for.



9. Lamu Airport. I mean…just look at the size of it. It’s teeny. Our boarding passes were laminated cards with absolutely no identifying information on them, and were reused later. Al had a full bottle of gin in his backpack and all security did was ask him if he had another one for them. The thing is, despite the obvious lack of security, I felt safer than I have at any of the other airports I have been to. That’s just how Lamu is…



10. Everything is better in Lamu. That was the theme of the weekend. They even have donkeys that make political statements (the Kenyan referendum vote was to take place the following week).

6 comments:

  1. How did you find these places to visit? Other technoserve workers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Miti! Beautiful pictures and beautiful writing.

    I am so proud of you:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankfully there's a pretty standard line-up of places to visit near Nairobi for TechnoServe volunteers...I barely had to do any research on logistics, etc. the whole time I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great to see Indian in Nairobi. I am on another side of Indian community in Nairobi. Feel happy to find Indian here. keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My experience working with Benjamin ( A Loan Officer) was a pleasure. He was completely upfront about the costs and whether the deal made sense financially. In fact, when I explained my situation, he advised me not to refinance unless the current terms improved even though it cost him business. When he later contacted me about a better deal, I jumped at it because he had earned my trust"Definitely made me feel confident that I was working with a great loan company / great business person who knew his worth of business lines.I will advies anyone here looking for any kind of loan to contact Mr Benjamin because he and his company helped me with a loan at the rate 2% which was very impressive.I had Mr Benjamin contact Office Email on .... 247officedept@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete